Bienvenu ! Laissez les bon temps roulez.
Welcome to the New Orleans website of La Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs.
We hope that by visiting this site, you will see our activities and learn something about the history of our illustrious organization. While we are a private organization and our events are by invitation only, we are a society dedicated for the sole purpose of enjoying fine food, wine and dining company. The pledge sworn upon induction in La Chaine des Rotisseurs emphasizes the importance of dining with good friends and good wine in harmony at the table.
The History of the Chaine
The Chaine des Rotisseurs is an international gastronomic society, headquartered in Paris, devoted to promoting fine dining and preserving the camaraderie and pleasures of the table. The coat of arms shown displays the two different dates of its founding.
As light came into the Dark Ages in Europe nearly 1000 years ago, informal groups of people devoted to various trades began to organize to promote their interest. Probably the most noted of these were the building trades that constructed the great cathedrals of Europe. But many other trades developed similar organizations which subsequently became known as “guilds”. The written history of the guild of the “Les Ayers”- the goose roasters – has been traced back to the year 1248 when it appeared on a list of guilds active in Paris prepared by the Provost of Paris. Thus the first date of 1248 is displayed in our coat of arms. Gradually the guilds became of greater and greater importance with increasing powers and exclusivity of membership. In the year 1610 the guild of goose roasters was granted a royal charter and a coat of arms similar to ours by Louis IX. Over the years the domain of the guild of goose roasters was extended to the roasting of all poultry, meat and game. But because of their power and exclusivity over who might work in any occupation, all the guilds in France, including that devoted to the roasting of meat, were abolished by the new revolutionary government in 1793.
In 1950, as the hardships in France resulting from World War II were finally ebbing, food rationing was discontinued. It was at that time, the second date appearing on the coat of arms shown, a group of five French gastronomes decided to form an organization to revive the spirit of fine dining in France and they petitioned the French government to revive the old guild of the goose roasters. They were granted the ancient coat of arms consisting of two crossed turning spits and four larding needles surrounded by the flames of the hearth on a shield of blue with fleur-de-lis. The chains of the roasting spit and the dates 1248 and 1950 were added at that time. Over the years that small nucleus of five gastronomes has expanded to more than 20,000 members in some 100 countries around the world. The international headquarters remain in Paris.
Always a bastion of fine dining, when the New Orleans Chapter was founded in 1961 it was one of the earliest chapters in the United States.
website established October 2003
National Chaine U.S. website
If you have ideas to enhance our new web site, please email our webperson.
Yvette Cressend: YCressend1@cox.net